Museums and the Web

An annual conference exploring the social, cultural, design, technological, economic, and organizational issues of culture, science and heritage on-line.

You are hereConferences on-line and on-site / MW2007 Closing Plenary Panel

MW2007 Closing Plenary Panel

jtrant's picture

By jennifer trant - Posted on 16 April 2007

What are your thoughts on the MW2007 closing plenary? We asked the following questions:

• What thing – idea or issue – will you take away from MW2007?
  • What do you hope to see for MW2008?

Tell us what your ideas are.

jennifer

jtrant's picture

We're looking forward to the closing plenary session -- though not to the end of the conference! We've invited a few people to kick-start a discussion about what we've learned over the conference, what we we want to 'take away', what issues we still need to face, and what we're hoping to see in the next year.

So, as you're exploring all the activity in the sessions today and tomorrow, keep some notes about things you want to highlight. Friday's break-outs are great, but we can't all be everywhere.

Panelists will be:

• David Rumsey, Cartography Associates
  • Kaliya, Identity Woman
  • Susan Hazan, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem
  • Jason Ediger, Apple Computer
  • Seb Chan, Powerhouse Museum

And then there's lots of time for contributions from the floor.

jennifer

j. trant co-founder Museums and the Web | partner archives & museum informatics www.archimuse.com

ThT's picture

In my view it needs a participatory community of museum professionals to master the challenges in the social and participatory Web.

At the conference I learned a lot about

• tools
  • difficulties & barriers (e.g. institutional)
  • successful initiatives & projects
  • great projects in progress
  • communities
    • in museums & institutions
    • with visitors, users, ...
    • user communities somewhere in the Web

and the conference focussed all these topics very well as I see it.

BUT the conference community will come apart soon.

My vision is, to have a platform for a participatory and collaborative community of museum professionals to live a participatory culture.

Out there in the World Wild Web there is a "baby" waiting for it's ʻohana to grow up with. The name of the baby is MuseumsWiki and if many of you join this wiki, it may grow to that platform I've been talking about. I'm looking forward to meet you there to move on with all the topics (and more) of the conference.

Many thanks to Jennifer and David for the wonderful conference organization, and greetings to all I had the opportunity to talk with.

--

ThT

--

ThT

dmje's picture

1. OpenID. Hurray.
2. Stop worrying: work quicker, think less, lose the fear
3. Our stuff is no longer solid, but nebulous. This is to be embraced, not feared. Get it out there through whatever (and multiple) means possible.
4. Increasingly, our content consumers won't care that we're a museum. Get used to it.

BrianKelly's picture

I'd endorse the two previous comments Mike Ellis and ThT.

Web 2.0 is happening - and we need to enage with it. I therefore suggest that, as well as making use of blogs and wikis to support the museums community, next year's conference should wencourage sumissions which address strategies for overcoming institutional inertia.

And, as ThT said, many thanks to David and Jennifer for organising such a sucecssful conference.

Brian Kelly, UKOLN

jtrant's picture

kaliya has posted her slides about user-centric identity. you can find them on her blog at

http://www.kaliyasblogs.net/Iwoman/?p=568

/jt

j. trant archives & museum informatics www.archimuse.com

j. trant co-founder Museums and the Web | partner archives & museum informatics www.archimuse.com