The Philadelphia Museum of Art is seeking a Web Developer to work collaboratively with Museum staff to develop innovative online user experiences that are aligned with the Museum’s goals of audience development, visitor experience, activating the collection and civic engagement. The Web Developer will manage all aspects of the Museum’s website and will supervise Web staff responsible for the creation of online interactives. He/she will be responsible for effectively communicating user experience, information architecture, and design practices to internal stakeholders using design tools, visual communications, and narrative vision; and will advocate for the innovative use of technology in all aspects of the Museum’s marketing, curatorial, education and visitor services programs.
Specific functions of the Web Developer position include, but are not limited to: serving as the lead developer and technical expert in designing, developing, and maintaining innovative, dynamic, and complex digital applications online; configuring and optimizing the Museum’s online digital environment and system architecture; and developing the connections between content management system (CMS), collections information system (CIS), linked data, application programming interfaces (APIs), a front –end MVC layer which he/she will maintain, and other shared systems, web services, and data sources.
He/she will be building and maintaining a content workflow system, via an API, to enable staff members to create, edit, and publish content to the website and other digital outlets. This will require creating and maintaining permissions management, review processes and publishing functionalities.
He/she will also be responsible for prototyping and delivering user-centered software solutions for search and discovery; serving as the Museum’s primary expert on technical matters concerning web, semantic web, and other software applications; integrating online and infrastructure systems to feed content to all digital applications; researching existing and emerging technologies to determine appropriate methods of content delivery and presentation; and advising on applications, systems and metadata and writing technical documentation and specifications.
Qualified candidate will have at least 5 years of agency (or institution) experience supervising and managing website development projects as well as a degree in Computer Science, Visual Communication, Interface Design, or equivalent work experience. Additional qualifications include:
• Extensive API development experience.
• Expert knowledge of content management systems and web development frameworks such as Drupal 7 and WordPress.
• Knowledge of cross-platform, digital formats for multimedia delivery and digital asset management, including text, images, video, and audio on web, mobile devices, and tablets.
• Skilled in interpersonal relations and communications in order to provide advisory services and establish productive and collaborative working relationships.
• Knowledge of linked data and semantic web technologies such as RDF, XML, SPARQL, JSON-LD, or Schema.org.
• Knowledge of analytics and reporting software and systems, especially Google Analytics.
• Experience in SEO techniques and maintenance.
• Understanding of video and audio production and delivery.
• Understanding of traditional advertising channels and campaign development.
• Demonstrable knowledge of multiple software applications, web services, and cross platform execution.
• Strong technical skills focused on current web and mobile device content development and delivery.
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task, handling frequent interruptions and shifting priorities.
• Excellent written and verbal communication problem analysis and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent staff management skills to nurture and lead a web development team.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Experience with a version control system (such as Git)
• Knowledge of automated testing (TDD/BDD)
To apply, please create a single document containing a cover letter and resume to upload with your application.