Excitement is building at the Museum of the City of New York. A $96 million project to renovate and expand the Museum’s historic building on Fifth Avenue is drawing to a close. At the same time, provocative exhibitions draw visitors from all over the city, the metro region, the nation, and the world. Behind-the-scenes, important aspects of the Museum’s rich collections of New York City iconography are being conserved and digitized. The Museum’s Frederick A.O. Schwarz Children’s Center educates elementary and middle school students about the history and culture of their city.
We are looking for a UX/UI Designer who can lead the process from research and discovery, through to polished visual design files. The ideal candidate will thrive in a work environment that requires strong problem solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication. This individual excels at providing both highly analytical as well as highly creative ideas to a design engagement. The candidate should have an interest in working with curatorial and marketing teams to realize content and business goals across digital channels and in gallery spaces.
- Assisting with the organization, moderation and facilitation of stakeholder workshops
- Assist with defining user goals, business needs and user experience best practices
- Translate insights and needs into UX and visual design concepts
- Create low and high fidelity prototypes
- Development of information architectures and interaction design specifications
- Produce finished design files ready for handoff to developers
- Ensure all digital products and services have a consistent level of usability
Competencies & Skills
- At least 3 years experience in User Experience Design, User Interface Design, Web Design or related roles
- Strong conceptualization and visual communication ability
- Exceptional visual design skills, production value and attention to detail
- Ability to create wireframes as well as visual design comps
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe Suite and associated wire-framing tools such Omnigraffle.
- Experience with user interface design patterns and standard UCD methodologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of common digital project management practices
- Understanding of common digital development practices
- Demonstrated ability to foster an open and creative approach to user experience design that shares ideas, skills and knowledge cross-institutionally.
- Bachelors degree in Interactive/Web Design or related field
Please submit your resume, cover letter and recent portfolio of work as part of your application. To be considered, you must include UX/UI Designer in the subject line of your email. Click here to Apply.
Excellent benefits package, including a defined benefit pension plan as well as a 401K savings plan. Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirement to Museum of the City of New York Attention: Human Resources Department, 1220 Fifth Avenue \New York, NY 10029, or send an email with this information to Click here to Apply The Museum of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer.