Gallagher & Associates is looking for a diversely talented Technical Director who can help bring forward thinking design ideas into reality. As a Technical Director at Gallagher & Associates, you will lead a team of software developers and work to analyze, guide, scope, and manage execution of large scale interactive experiences that vary from web based deployments to full physical installations. You will work in collaboratively with internal design teams and with clients including renowned museums, corporations, universities and governmental organizations. Our projects range from traveling exhibits to corporate centers, to large scale museums.
You will oversee technical execution of web based technologies, back-end systems, and native applications. You will be involved in technically focused client communication and coordination, as well as the continued staffing of an existing team dedicated to interactive experience development.
You will guide the evaluation and experimentation of new technologies, including the designing and building of physical prototypes, to forward the design mission of our firm. Our projects involve a complete technical stack, ranging from overseeing network design to building database systems, to optimization of graphical front-ends.
- Oversee all aspects of software development and technical R&D efforts, including long term productization efforts of specific interactives, CMS systems, etc
- Manage a technical team as direct reports, while acting as a liaison between project managers and the internal software development team
- Perform hands on management of highly complex development components
- Aid in overseeing vendor engagements, while maintaining existing vendor relationships and identifying potential new vendors
- Advance and contribute to the overall studio process regarding iterative design and software development
- Perform high-level assessment of AV system designs and aid in any design troubleshooting
- Perform high-level assessment and recommendations of proposed software solutions and identify areas of potential risk
- Collaborating with partners in Visual Design, User Experience Design, Research, Content Strategy, and the Exhibit Design team to produce the best interactive experiences.
- In collaboration with Visual Design, User Experience Design, Research, Content Strategy, and the Exhibit design team, guide the conceptualizing of interactives given technical realities and oversee the execution of interactives
- Assist with project presentations and client meetings. Participate in new business pitches
- Identify technical new hires and freelancers
- Mentor mid and junior level employees as they grow their careers
- Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience; advanced degree a plus
- Minimum 5+ years demonstrable experience in solving complex software problems
- Minimum 3+ years developing cutting edge interactive experiences
- Minimum 3+ years managing teams in the development of complex software systems
- Experience creating development plans and managing projects using task management systems or other agile oriented tools
- Experience working in the architectural fields a plus
- Experience working in a creative field a plus
Gallagher & Associates is a global award winning, full-service museum exhibition design firm, specializing in design and development of interpretive 3D experiences and interactive media installations. We believe that the hallmark of any exhibit is storytelling and lies in its ability to capture a visitor’s imagination through sights, sounds, and words. Constant collaboration between disciplines and with our clients is the foundation of our creative process. Gallagher & Associates’ collaborative working style facilitates the process that is required to develop a storyline that provides a rich, layered learning experience.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.A. and live in or be willing to relocate to the New York City area.
Candidate must have examples they can show that demonstrate creative thinking and core craft skills across a variety of categories and design formats & methodologies.