GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITES & DUTIES:
We are looking for a highly-talented and forward-thinking Senior Manager of Digital Products and User Experience to help connect the world to The Met’s incredible art collection through digital, both online and onsite.
The ideal candidate will be a creative, inspirational leader with a demonstrated ability to lead a team of product managers and designers, and drive execution of product strategy. The Senior Manager of Digital Products and User Experience will be responsible for defining, managing and overseeing product development across the Museum’s public facing digital products. These include the institutional website (metmuseum.org), The Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History, the Met App, Audio Guide, in-gallery interactives, digital signage, wayfinding solutions, digital ticketing, email campaigns and more.
You will partner with museum leaders and project sponsors, and interface with stakeholders, engineers, database / API managers, content producers and business analysts to define requirements, identify new product opportunities, and prioritize product work within the team. You are expected to lead, inspire and empower your team to make sound investment and trade-off decisions to continuously improve the user experience in service of the Museum’s mission.
You will manage and allocate resources across your team, develop KPI’s that enable performance management across products, establish design workflows, and report progress to the department’s leadership team and stakeholders. Grounded in empathy, you inspire colleagues and motivate the team by articulating a compelling vision and setting clear objectives and roadmaps in partnership with your team. The ideal candidate would have a passion for and knowledge of the cultural sector and mission-based institutions. The candidate would also have a proven track record of product management experience to support and fulfill the strategic objectives of a large organization. This role will report to the Chief Digital Officer.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILIES & DUTIES:
- Manage, lead and inspire a team of product managers and designers in the continuous improvement of all digital products in service of the Museum’s mission
- Develop workflows and management tools that empower efficient and informed, data-driven decision making
- Oversee the development of a shared set of design best practices, standards, and guidelines that are consistent with the brand guidelines
- Establish and advance design research and exploration, rapid experience prototyping and agile design principles
- Set realistic but ambitious goals based on design and development velocity
- Work collaboratively and creatively with teams and product managers to prioritize competing product needs and roadmaps.
- Set and manage quality standards by supporting an environment for product success and continual improvement
- Stakeholder management
- Earn project and museum wide commitment to overall product strategy
- Drive tangible and measurable results
- Manage team budgets and reporting
- Build and manage a team culture that works in a way that is iterative, efficient, creative, collaborative, data-informed, mission-driven and scalable.
- Build an industry leading team of product managers and designers in a highly competitive talent market
- Determine the appropriate balance of internally and externally sourced resources to manage workload
- Provide leadership support to team of designers and product managers, including but not limited to, providing career mentorship and fulfilling performance reviews.
- Foster Product, Design, Content Production, Data Management and Engineering team cohesion, synergy, and culture
- Interface regularly with the Digital Leadership and Management team to share learnings
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience and Skills:
- 7 years of experience designing, developing and managing multi-platform digital products
- 2+ years with management experience, leading a team and with budget responsibilities
- 5+ years working on high-profile digital product(s)
- Significant experience leading teams using an agile methodology
- Demonstrated ability to set strategy and adjust course as needed
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Charismatic, highly motivated and results-oriented
- Strong problem solving seeking and critical thinking skills
- Proven public speaking ability
- Proven ability to retain and attract top talent
- Experience working in a museum or a related sector is desirable.
- Creativity, flexibility, sense of humor
- Strong work/life balance
- 10+ paid holiday days annually
- 27 days paid annual leave
- 401K with option for employer matching plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Early access to exhibitions, galleries, and curatorial talks
- A fantastic work environment!
How to Apply:
- Send portfolio link, CV and cover letter to Careers@metmuseum.org with job title in the subject line
- CV that highlights core skills, accomplishments, background, and education
- Cover letter that describes what sets you apart from other candidates, availability to start, and salary expectations