The department of Digital Media at The Metropolitan Museum of Art (“Museum”) is seeking a Media Technology Manager to lead innovation and manage a team of software developers. This individual will be responsible for driving innovation that enhances and redefines the Museum’s interactive digital products and services that support the Museum’s collection, exhibitions and related activities, both online and on-site. The ideal candidate is a visionary thinker with an inquisitive mind, a person keen to integrate new technologies and accomplished at expressing creativity of vision in code and software architecture. Enjoy a collaborative environment with small project teams working on a variety of projects ranging from mobile/multi-touch experiences, interpretive digital media, interactive installations, as well as research and development.
The Manager will be responsible for optimal operational efficiencies of the team they manage, informing and matching resources to tasks, facilitating regular communication on progress, and proactively resolving issues and process bottlenecks. The successful candidate will bring creative and innovative approaches to engineering problems that come with building a complex interactive digital media. We are not only looking for strong technical abilities, but a manager that leads by example and shares their wisdom, wit and experience across the team.
This role will be an integral part of Museum’s creative efforts and manager will play a key role in connecting their team with other in-house product engineering groups in order to take full advantage of staff resources and expertise.
- Lead a team of software developers that work to inform a project’s development trajectory, this includes taking an active role in prototyping, planning, architecting, and executing code for compelling new products and frameworks.
- Manage execution against project plans and delivery commitments, including the day-to-day activities of a team of engineers within an dynamic agile environment
- Exhibit strong relationship building and interpersonal skills; able to foster collaboration within and between diverse cross-functional teams.
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance. Advocate and advance extensive automated testing
- Champion the creative, effective, and sustainable use of interactive technologies across the Museum, as well as advancing the use of automated testing.
- Research and develop new ideas using cutting edge technologies and techniques
- Maintain active participation in field to stay current on the latest developments in interactive technology and digital communications and for their evaluation in terms of current and future needs.
Experience and Skills
- Demonstrated team buildings, leadership, and mentoring skills.
- Experience creating new products at an interactive design agency or digital media team.
- 5+ years of experience building successful production software systems and working with the full-stack system software, platform software lifecycle, and source code management tools and processes.
- Hands-on contribution as a tech lead, software developer, test engineer, professional services engineer, or systems integrator for a portion of your career.
- Strong familiarity with interactive, mobile and emergent technologies, and an ability to identify the right technology to meets the needs of a project.
- Experience leading teams in different software development methodologies including Agile/Scrum.
- Mastery of the tools of the trade, including a variety of modern programming languages (Objective-C) and open-source technologies (Linux, Android)
- Extensive knowledge of systems integration technologies/components (i.e. APIs, data formats, db schema, security, etc.).
- Strong creative, strategic and independent thinking
- Excellent written and oral communication skills when interacting with internal creative and technical teams as well as with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to break down large complex technical problems into constituent tasks and plans.
- A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
Knowledge and Education
- BS or MS in Computer Science/Media Arts with a minimum of 5 years experience working in creative/R&D environments.
- 5+ years in a senior software engineering or systems integration role.
- 2+ years in a program/project/product management role.
Apply for the position on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/25100411