The department of Digital Media at The Metropolitan Museum of Art seeks an talented Information Systems Developer to work collaboratively in a team environment in the support, strategy, management, dissemination and delivery of its collection documentation, metadata, and digital assets to public facing technologies that support the Museum’s collection, exhibitions, and related programs. Projects include creating systems to manage and deliver collection information to the next generation of mobile, responsive, and touch capable platforms and in-gallery technologies, as well as establishing interoperability with related content, collection, and digital asset management systems.
The Information Systems Developer will work on a number of wide-ranging and evolving initiatives to support the way collection-related information is stored, integrated and published; configure and support information-based systems in a museum environment; integrate existing enterprise-wide applications; maintain and advance data models and information processes; work with technical staff to build mechanisms and APIs for exchanging data and metadata between repositories; work with staff for requirements analysis, problem definition and solutions development; apply standards and best-practice solutions for maintaining and developing the software that supports the Museum’s information architecture; communicate complex technology issues effectively with technical and non-technical personnel.
The ideal candidate will be well versed in a range of programming languages, familiar with information standards, and able to learn and implement new technologies. Additionally, the candidate should be a self-motivated, team player, with strong analytical and organizational skills. This position offers candidates opportunities to work with projects of unparalleled content within a museum environment, excellence, innovation, and visibility with an award-winning team.
- Implementation of solutions to support content editing and workflows for mobile applications and in-gallery technologies.
- Maintain, refine, and refactor, and migrate existing information management software, which includes: C# web services, SQL queries to existing databases, Drupal, XML databases, and ad-hoc data delivery systems.
- Provide data analysis for internal projects
- Ad-hoc report generation, data transformation, and delivery systems.
Experience and Skills
Interested candidates must have at least 2-years experience and possess the following characteristics:
- Familiarity with XML-based information technologies (eg XSD, XSLT, XPath, XQuery) required.
- Experience working with team development tools (eg git, svn, cvs, jira, etc) .
- Demonstrate a successful track record of developing and deploying content systems is essential. Applicants should demonstrate an ability to work with diverse stakeholders to gather requirements, design, and implement workflows and schemas for content development in web-based systems.
- Familiarity with museum data standards (CIDOC CRM, LIDO, CDWA, Dublin Core, etc.) a plus.
- Experience working in a cultural institution or creative digital production department a plus.
- Experience in backend systems for mobile development a plus.
- Be comfortable working within an agile development environment.
Knowledge and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Science, Management Information Systems, Computer Science, related fields of study, or equivalent experience required.
- 2-5 years software development experience in a client-server environment.
For consideration, please include links to any work, code samples, open-source projects, conference papers, and programmer social sites that represent your professional experience and interests; email letter of interest, resume, and salary history as MS Word or PDF attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line.