Balboa Park Online Collaborative
San Diego, California
Director of Technology Services
Status: Full time, salaried
Hours: Monday – Friday, weekends – on call
Compensation: Salary consummate with experience
Benefits: 100% medical, dental, vision, and life insurance for individual
15 vacation days, 10 sick days, 11 holidays per year
Start Date: November, 2015
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: 4 Full Time IT staff
The Director of Technology Services should be a dynamic, business-minded, proactive individual with strong technical and communications skills who is aspiring to a technology management and leadership role. The Balboa Park Online Collaborative (BPOC) provides technical services and thought leadership to more than 27 museums and cultural organizations with a focus on providing basic and innovative solutions, delivering exceptional customer service, and creating a reliable infrastructure that demonstrates value to our members.
The Director of Technology Services is responsible for all aspects of information technology operations, including supervision of information technology employees; budget preparation and management; development of guidelines, standards and procedures; deployment and maintenance of enterprise application systems and services; information security; and user support, training, and outreach. The director is charged with both strategic planning and technical implementation to fulfill the mission of the BPOC and the individual organizations.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee desktop and server support for a diverse collection of museums and cultural organizations in Balboa Park, and in San Diego County, supporting approximately 450 users at 13 sites, with potential for expansion.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership to the IT team and assist in designing, implementing, maintaining and upgrading all IT infrastructure on campus – including wide area fiber optic network, public access wireless, local area networks, application, file and print servers, VoIP telephone systems, integration with cloud-based services such as Google apps and Office 365, personal computers and operating systems.
- Provide overall direction and advise on best practices for IT activities campus-wide, including multimedia projects, in-gallery displays, collections and library management systems, digital asset management, customer relations management, financial and ticketing systems.
- Create procedures for the management, monitoring and maintenance of server environments and infrastructure, including voice and data communications, and ensure that procedures are followed. Regularly audit operations and backups to ensure systems and data integrity.
- Rapid response to emergency situations, including direct response as well as coordination of other IT staff, both during and outside normal business hours.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and implement a strategic plan for campus-wide IT that supports the mission of the cultural institutions that we serve as well as the innovative technology mission of BPOC.
- Create disaster recovery plan for BPOC and data disaster recovery plan for client organizations.
- Supervise a growing team of 4 full time staff using a robust ticketing and project management system.
- Manage IT assets at BPOC and client locations including purchases, tracking, distribution, break/fix and warranty issues, and all other activities related to the acquisition and maintenance of IT-related equipment.
- Work with the Director of Finance and Operations to create and maintain appropriate service level agreements that reasonably meet the needs of clients’ budgets as well as BPOC’s budget needs and aspirational technology goals.
- Work closely with colleagues to meet team goals and improve processes and practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated desire to work in the non-profit environment; experience with nonprofit-specific software packages; experience with maintaining and planning open air WiFi systems; experience advising and communicating with non-technical staff and guiding technical decisions; a strong combination of strategic planning, communication, interpersonal, management, and leadership skills; the demonstrated ability to successfully manage a team.
- BA. or B.S. in a technical or business, or related field, or a relevant combination of education and experience.
- Extensive project and team management experience, including experience creating and managing budgets and project plans for complex, multi-phased IT projects and coordinating team members to execute projects on time and on budget.
- Demonstrated ability to manage timelines, dependencies, deliverables, milestones and resource allocation and management in projects.
- Desktop, network and server administration experience in a fast-paced 365/7/24 support environment. Thorough knowledge of VMWare, Windows Server and Active Directory.
- Demonstrated knowledge of networking, including firewalls, routing concepts, VLANs and switching infrastructure.
- Broad base of technical knowledge in IT systems and emerging technology trends and issues, especially in the museum or educational technology space.
- Collaborative skills to work effectively with faculty, staff and senior administrators in areas other than technology to develop and implement appropriate uses of technology.
- Excellent customer service skills.
|x||Squatting/crouching||Usual amount 15 lbs (estimate)|
|x||Manual dexterity||Max amount 60 lbs (estimate)|
|x||Balancing||Usual amount 15 lbs (estimate)|
|x||Standing||Max amount 40 lbs (estimate)|
|x||Climbing||Usual amount 10 lbs (estimate)|
|x||Reaching Above Shoulder||Max amount 20 lbs (estimate)|
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of every duty the employee is expected to perform.
BPOC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Submit the following:
- Cover letter. Please describe experience relevant to the following:
- Customer Service/Help desk experience in an IT environment
- Desktop/Server Support
- WiFi infrastructure
- Data Back up
- Staff Management
- Creating and managing budgets
- Why do you want to join BPOC’s team?
- List of three references
Balboa Park Online Collaborative
Attn: Director of Finance and Operations
2131 Pan American Plaza
San Diego, CA 92101
Or email to:
Please no telephone calls. No Recruiters.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.