The Dallas Museum of Art (DMA) is the largest museum in its region and among the most innovative and respected art museums in America. By offering free admission and membership to its local audiences and committing to a robust open access policy for the Museum’s content, the DMA prides itself on being accessible to a broad audience both here in Dallas and globally through it’s online initiatives.
The DMA seeks a Director of Technology and Digital Media to manage a diverse range of projects and staff, joining a dynamic team to envision the future of digital media, and technology for the Dallas Museum of Art and to impact the field of museums. Having direct responsibility for digital media projects spanning media creation, digital gallery interaction, electronic publishing, digitization, and mobile experiences, successful candidates will have significant experience leading others to succeed in innovative and fast-paced environments. In addition to direct supervision of Museum staff and projects, the Director for Technology and Digital Media will chair the Museum’s cross-departmental web team in the creation, management, and expansion of the Museum’s online presence.
Reporting to the DMA’s Deputy Director, the Director of Technology and Digital Media will collaborate closely with the Museum’s senior leadership and a diverse staff from all departments. Successful candidates must exhibit creative approaches to problem solving and enjoy a deeply collaborative working environment.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
- Leadership and management responsibilities for the DMA’s Digital Media, Software, and IT departments and staff
- General supervision and leadership responsibilities for all technology-based projects of the Museum
- Manage and schedule collaborative digital project to successful completion
- Integrate and apply technology and digital media across the organization to achieve the overall strategic goals of the Museum.
- Manage departmental budgets, and capital projects to deliver exceptional results with good financial oversight.
- Create and maintain a strong IT infrastructure for the DMA focused on quality of service, reliability, and future-proof planning.
- Provide for a solid and reliable enterprise infrastructure that includes ticketing, retail, fundraising and financial systems and facilitates data-driven decision-making based on integrated reporting and analytics.
- Enhance the DMA’s leadership in the field by building strong collaborative relationships and partnerships across multiple sectors.
- Ensure that DMA’s work in technology and digital media also makes a significant impact to the larger cultural sector.
- Be committed to documenting the work of the DMA through scholarly writing, public speaking, and professional service.
- Manage the day-to-day process of digitizing the DMA’s permanent collection ensuring that the Museum’s online collections and achieves achieve the highest standards for quality and accessibility.
- Supervise the software development efforts of the Museum; lead an agile team to produce well-designed and modular tools to achieve significant field impact.
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field is required.
- Must possess 5 or more years experience leading a technical teams in a fast-paced and innovative environment
- A thorough working knowledge of best-practice in Information Technology for mid-sized enterprise required. Experience or prior-work in the cultural sector is desired.
- Experience with current web development practice and agile project management experience required.
- Must demonstrate a proven experience to lead or contribute significantly to ongoing open-source software efforts.
- Ability to communicate clearly about technology and digital media to non-technical colleagues.
- Must possess sound management skills with regard to projects, budgets and personnel with a proven ability to collaborate across departments, leading teams with or without direct authority.
- A deep understanding of current and emerging-technologies as well as a nuanced view of cultural and technical trends.
The Dallas Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should apply online at: http://www.dma.org/about/employment