The Museum of the City of New York seeks a full-time Director of Digital Technology for a major installation scheduled to open in 2016. The Museum’s new signature exhibition, New York at Its Core, will offer visitors a view of New York City from its settlement as a Dutch colony in 1609 to the questions that face it in the 21st century. The installation will rely heavily on multimedia elements and interactive technologies to present the stories of the people who made New York.
The Director of Digital Technology will direct the digital strategies for this major initiative. S/he will lead the Museum’s team in work with consultants on the conceptualization and shaping of the technology systems, establish guidelines for the design and specifications of hardware and software, and oversee the installation and ongoing operations, content updates, and maintenance of the various audio-visual, interactive technologies, and mobile/app technologies employed in the exhibition. S/he will collaborate with content developers, including media consultants, curators, and the Director of Digital Content, and will assume primary responsibility for ensuring that the back-end design, hardware components, and long-term maintenance of all technology elements are institutionally sustainable. S/he will coordinate with the project architects, interaction designers, and the City Museum’s Director of Information Technology, to integrate of the exhibition content into the systems framework.
- Experience with design, operation, and maintenance of digital media for physical spaces.
- Strong technical knowledge in IT operations; systems development and maintenance; technical and operational problem solving; systems design; data processing methods.
- Experience installing, configuring, troubleshooting, and repairing touch-screen display monitors, computers, hardware, software, and peripherals.
- Familiarity with planning the computer networks, including analyzing needs and costs, and selecting appropriate media devices and layouts for network configurations and security.
- Ability to effectively manage complex and diverse technology projects that improve organizational efficiency and internal user and external customer experience.
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in computer science, technology, engineering, or information systems.
- Five years of verifiable experience working in an IT department that serves a broad public.
- Excellent project management and communication skills.
- Experience with applications used by museum, educational, cultural, or related institutions is highly desirable.
- The Museum of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer.
- Qualified individuals can send their resume with cover letter to the attention of Human Resources at email@example.com or mail to: Museum of the City of New York, 1220 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10029. For additional information, please visit http://www.mcny.org/jobs.
- The ideal candidate is collegial, self-motivated, and highly detail-oriented, with an ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative environment.