The Whitney Museum of American Art seeks a Director of Digital Media to develop institutional strategies and manage initiatives that advance the’s museum’s programs and mission via digital technologies. The position, reporting to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, is responsible for developing and maintaining content and technology for whitney.org; third-party websites featuring Whitney content; mobile apps and digital publications; on-site digital signage; and other digital technologies that allow audiences, offsite and onsite, to access information about the Whitney’s collection and programs and/or deepen their experience with the Museum.
- Develop and implement the overarching digital content and technology strategy for the Museum, supporting the efforts of the marketing, communications, curatorial, visitor experience, graphic design, information technology, publications, education, development, and retail departments.
- Manage the development, implementation, and budget for all major digital media projects, in collaboration with project stakeholders.
- Manage the development, production, writing, and editing of all content on whitney.org, notably the online collection, exhibitions, home page, calendar, audio/video, and Whitney Stories, in collaboration with other institutional stakeholders.
- Manage on-site digital signage (custom templates, content scheduling and entry) with support of graphic design (template updates and custom designs) and IT (hardware maintenance) departments.
- Strategize and manage the use of mobile technology (iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.) to access information about the Whitney’s collection and programs and/or enhance the visitor experience.
- Supervise the upkeep and technological development of the Whitney’s digital platforms, including the website content management system and third-party servers; articulate technical specifications for project deliverables; manage the verification and delivery of all technical specifications; and vet technical aspects of all digital media project deliverables.
- B.A.; 7–10+ years of experience in visual arts-related digital media
- Knowledge of modern and contemporary American art
- Deep familiarity with contemporary digital culture and trends
- Sufficient technical knowledge to manage web developer
To apply for the position, please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org