The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution’s success.
The Digital Communications Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day management of the museum’s digital communications, including web search, email marketing, website content management, and blog editorial management. This position strategizes, project manages, and implements online marketing initiatives that cultivate audience development and increase community engagement with the Oakland Museum of California both digitally and on-site. The position requires an innovator, a trendsetter, and a progressive thinker who can connect digital to all other aspects of OMCA business and drive audience and funding opportunities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects OMCA’s definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. OMCA may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Support the Museum’s mission, values, vision, and core commitment to the visitor experience, community engagement, and institutional relevancy for the future
- Contribute to and support the OMCA strategic plan, annual priorities, and institutional initiatives such as diversity advancement
- Contribute to a positive organizational culture based on mutual respect, a spirit of collegiality, cooperation, and openness to many perspectives
- Participate in a culture of ongoing learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and community engagement
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position works under the direction of the Director of Communications and Audience Development to execute a digital communications strategy that is consistent and collaborative with the overall marketing and communications strategy for the museum.
- Researches, compiles information, presents ideas, writes, and updates the museum’s digital channels and mobile applications
- Attends meetings on exhibitions, programming, strategic planning, and external issues
- Identifies resources and manages tools to effectively measure and evaluate the reach and effectiveness of the museum’s digital communications
- Develop a total understanding of OMCA target audiences and apply audience research to new media initiatives
Website & Online Programs Management
- Manage OMCA website content
- Write engaging online copy with an emphasis toward storytelling
- Collaborate with museum staff across Centers to facilitate the development and delivery of Museum content to all online channels
- Drive traffic to the web site by ensuring content is built and tagged consistently with SEO/SEM techniques and best practices while upholding the editorial standards of the OMCA brand
- Develop landing pages for strategic initiatives and key museum programs
- Visually translate and adapt OMCA brand across multiple online channels and adapt written and visual content for appropriate media platforms
- Crop and manipulate images and digital assets for optimal display, upload speed and resolution requirements
Email Marketing Program
- Oversee email marketing program, including editorial strategy development, project management, and implementation of editorial content and design
- Monitor open and click-thru rates, optimizing email campaigns as needed
- Maintain email list management, including management of email list, preference center, and the development of marketing initiatives to increase email database
- Responsible for Search Engine Optimization
- Management of Google Adwords program
- Regularly upload, monitor, report and optimize retargeting campaigns managed through Adroll
Online Analytics Monitoring & Reporting
- Monitor, analyze and report monthly on website traffic and search data, and initiate changes to online platforms as needed by applying web analytics to inform online marketing strategy
- Partner with Research and Evaluation team to yield rich insights into consumer online behavior and key motivational and attitudinal behavior
Technical and Project Management
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, communicating with key stakeholders throughout the project lifecycle
- Execute projects to be high quality, timely and cost-effective within budget
- Foster timeline development and monitors progress, ensuring deadlines are met
- Manage internal/external partner expectations, bringing issues/concerns to partners attention in advance, offering potential solutions and adjusting work plans as necessary
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A combination of experience and education that demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge and abilities for this position is required as noted:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent required
- A. degree in relevant field such as Marketing, Journalism, English, or related field preferred
- 3-5 years of related experience required
- Knowledge of digital marketing practices and integrations
- Knowledge of web technologies and platforms (including content management systems); knowledge of Drupal preferred
- Knowledge of web analytics and online marketing strategies
- Superior communication skills, both internal client facing and with external vendors/partners
- Strong relationship management, organizational and project management skills
- Knowledge of the types of content appropriate for different marketing channels
- Proficiency in front-end web development skills including HTML, CSS
- Ability to develop HTML email campaigns, manage lists, report results and integrate email platform with multiple online channels
- Proficiency in computer systems, specifically MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Adobe CS (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Noise, such as groups of people working in enclosed areas
- Typical office environment
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
The Oakland Museum of California is a multicultural organization, committed to diversity and practicing equal opportunity employment in recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for open positions.
To Apply: Go to http://museumca.org/careers