The Digital Department leads the creation, production, presentation, and dissemination of multimedia content to support the viewing and understanding of The Met collection and exhibitions, both within the galleries and online. The department is responsible for managing electronic documentation and digital assets associated with The Met collection, publishing the collection information to a variety of platforms, and ensuring greater access to The Met’s digital resources.
The museum’s digital asset management software facilitates the cataloging, discovery, dissemination, and long‐term preservation of the 1‐2 million digital assets captured and collected by the museum. The scope of the collection includes artwork, historic images of the Museum and its exhibitions, and video and audio material related to the museum’s daily activities and exhibitions.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITES & DUTIES:
The Digital Asset Technical Specialist participates in the analysis, transfer, tracking and organization of all digital collections used by both internal Museum staff and external constituents. In addition, this position collaborates with stakeholders and other specialists within the Collection Information group on the review and configuration of metadata, participates in the development and deployment of workflow processes, and contributes to other system integrations and enhancements, including task automation, troubleshooting, reporting, and other digitization procedures.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILIES & DUTIES:
- Provide support for the Museum’s Digital Asset Management system (NetX), based on a strong understanding of content management, client server environment, web services, security roles etc. as well as demonstrated experience with a variety of image, audio and video formats
- Review, analyze, and evaluate system and user needs. Assist in the development and deployment of solutions based on user requirements.
- Monitor data migration/synchronization tasks between various Museum data repositories.
- Streamline acquisitions, deployments and conversions of multimedia content for both internal and external uses
- Oversee assigned local collections and other special projects and their workflow for processing within the DAMS
- Design, develop, and maintain reports for the Museum’s content management systems (e.g., production workflows, digital rights management, licensing activities)
- Extend DAMS system integrations in response to user requirements and ongoing product development.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience and Skills:
- 3+ years of digital asset or content management user experience required. NetX preferred.
- Knowledge of digitization processes for content, including digital image capture and scanning, image, audio and video formats and codecs, file conversion and archiving, data mining and harvesting, and metadata taxonomies.
- Ability to edit and maintain library of DAMS XML system configuration files.
- Ability to query SQL databases.
- Ability to edit and maintain external scripts using EXIFtools and ImageMagick.
- Knowledge of XMP and other metadata schemas.
- Experience with Windows Server 2012.
- Understanding rest and web service APIs for accessing the DAMS and external data sources.
- Experience with Jira, SOLR, and enterprise Java applications preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to collaborate with staff at all levels across the institution and with outside organizations and vendors.
Knowledge and Education:
- BA in computer science, library science or other related field required.
Send Resumes with Salary history to Lori.Malberg@metmuseum.org