Shangri La is a museum for learning about the global culture of Islamic art and design through innovative exhibitions, guided tours, public programs and digital initiatives. Built in 1937 as the Honolulu home of American heiress and philanthropist Doris Duke (1912-1993), Shangri La was inspired by Duke’s extensive travels throughout North Africa, the Middle East and South Asia and reflects architectural traditions from those regions. The permanent collection features objects from Spain, Morocco, Egypt, Syria, Iran, Central Asia, India and parts of Southeast Asia. Shangri La is a program of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation through the Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art.
The associate curator of digital and emerging media advances the mission of Shangri La through Shangri La(b), Shangri La’s center of education and digital programming that pilots and runs innovative and socially conscious programming to broaden access to Shangri La’s collections and exhibitions onsite, offsite and online. Shangri La(b) plays a key role in enabling Shangri La to be a bridge for the public to understand global culture and citizenship in the 21st century.
The associate curator of digital and emerging media supports the executive director in the stewardship of Shangri La, collaborating with him and other staff to develop media-based initiatives and strategies that deepen the understanding of global cultures through Islamic art and design. The associate curator will develop initiatives that use a wide range of new media as the vehicle for social and participatory experiences that encourage dialogue and spark further cultural and civic curiosity and connection for all ages around the work of Shangri La. These initiatives will engage diverse cultural communities in novel, meaningful ways, and empower communities with new knowledge of Islamic and global cultures or through opportunities to deepen the understanding of their heritage.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Graphic Design: Design, produce and coordinate Shangri La’s identity across media platforms and graphical interfaces (e.g., online/website, logo, print, audiovisual presentations, signage, etc.); consult with colleagues to develop and implement policies, procedures and best practices around Shangri La’s visuals that ensure consistency of identity across the broader Doris Duke Charitable Foundation organization.
Digital Storytelling: Curate, develop and coordinate digital initiatives (e.g., exhibitions, podcasts, digital catalogs, playlists, Wikipedia edit-a-thons, hackathons, etc.) that tell stories, share knowledge and initiate conversations that deepen the artistic, civic, cultural and historical relevance of Shangri La’s collection, exhibitions and mission.
Social Media: Curate and coordinate content of all social media efforts; develop social media channels that appropriately manage the museum’s reputation, and leverage social media to meet the museum’s educational and participation goals; ensure consistency and quality of content across all platforms; create and monitor blogs and manage a blogger outreach program and e-newsletters; develop overarching social media strategy aimed at informing, educating and creating dialogue about the global culture of Islamic art and design.
Emerging Media: Develop and/or oversee the development of interactive media (e.g., apps, mobile devices and other platforms) that support innovative ways of learning.
Other duties as assigned by the executive director.
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s degree or terminal degree preferred) in a relevant field and/or equivalent relevant work experience;
- Strong computer, technology and design skills in Microsoft Office Suite, Apple OSX; graphic design software (Adobe design & Photoshop, etc.); video editing software (Final Cut or Avid or Premier, etc.), and web design (WordPress, EpiServer or similar CMS);
- Strong technical skills using creative media equipment (e.g., cameras, audio equipment, etc.) to document events and share content on social media platforms and the web;
- Superb communication and writing skills, with a command of grammar rules and using style guides;
- Knowledge and experience developing and designing communication materials for a variety of platforms (e.g., online, print, etc.);
- Knowledge and experience–including best practices–using social media platforms and similar digital networking/sharing platforms towards impactful ends;
- Knowledge and experience in short and long form storytelling (e.g., documentaries, journalism, etc.);
- Knowledge and experience working with creative media professionals (e.g., web developers, designers, filmmakers, etc.);
- Versatility and ability to manage many projects and priorities simultaneously;
- Proven competence managing budgetary allowances and restrictions;
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills with excellent attention to detail;
- Team-player mentality to work cooperatively and positively with colleagues, partners, consultants and a diverse public;
- Proven competence in managing and collaborating with direct reports, as well as peers and colleagues not in the direct line of management;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated passion and knowledge about role of digital and emerging media to change and enrich the museum experience with clearly articulated views on the value of an Islamic art, culture and design museum;
- Well-informed views regarding the active role of museums in the 21st century;
- Enthusiasm for startup culture and the spirit of innovation regarding educational initiatives that reinforce the role of museums as incubators of informal, impactful learning;
- Ability to work weeknights and weekends as needed;
- Ability to travel occasionally (local and national).
HOW TO APPLY
Application reviews will begin December 9, 2016 and continue until position is filled. All interested parties should send:
- Cover letter outlining how you satisfy the desirable qualifications and functions
- Unofficial transcripts
- Sample(s) of previous work (pdf or links)
- Email to: email@example.com Include “Curator Digital” in the subject line
- Fax: 808-732-4361 Reference “Curator Digital” on your cover page
- Do not apply in person