Museums and the Web 2012 (MW2012): Best of the Web: Nomination Process
How does the Best of the Web 2012 work?
- All nominations will be made through the museumsandtheweb.com website and be available online for others to review.
- Only registered users can nominate a site. If you haven't registered, feel free to set up an account. Note: All requests for accounts are reviewed; spam accounts will be deleted. Accounts resulting from a campaign to promote a site will not be approved or will be suspended when discovered.
- Each registered user can nominate only one site.
- Sites can be nominated in any one of the categories.
- You are encouraged to nominate a site other than your own.
What's required in a Nomination?
- To make a nomination complete the online form.
- Complete all the fields:
- Site Name
the formal name of the site, or part of a site
the museum that launched the site; format this so it sorts in lists
the name of the individual or firm who designed the site. if in-house, say so here.
the full, working URL for the site, starting with http:// Make sure you get this right. if we can't find the site, we can't review it.
the category the site should be considered it. pick an appropriate category; parts of sites that excel in a category do better in competition than home pages nominated in any category.
- Small Museum Yes / No
should this site be considered for a Small Museum award?
help the judges: highlight why this site is great at what it does. Cite specific pages by URL. Include screen shots if desired.
- Screen Images
At least one screen shot is recommended. You may attach a maximum of five screen shots to your entry. These should highlight exceptional parts of the site. Only the first five images linked to a nomination will be published. Upload a screenshot by clicking on the camera icon above the Why text area. Follow the prompts on the pop-up form, first to upload your image file, and then to link it to your nomination. Your image will be automatically re-sized. Put your image at the start of your text, and the words will flow around it. Please use the default settings for image formatting.
- Site Name
- Preview your nomination and correct any problems. You cannot edit it once it is submitted.
- Submit your nomination. Once submitted, your nomination is final. Each user can submit only one nomination
- Once submitted, nominations will be reviewed by MW2012, and then released to the conference site.
Please don't just re-submit your MUSE award application. These are very different competitions.
- Nominations will be accepted until February 21st, 2012
The List of Nominations
- Nominations will appear in the list immediately after they are reviewed and released.
- Nominations are linked to the user profile of the nominator.
The Review Process
- All nominations will be available for members of the community to review and comment.
- Comments on nominated sites are encouraged.
- All nominated sites will be considered by the Best of the Web Review Panel for an award.
- See the outline of Panel review process.
- Members of the community vote for the "people's choice' award: March 28 - April 12, 2012.
- When voting is open, registered [logged in] users will see a link by each nomination. Click to vote.
Only registered users can vote for a site. Each user has one vote.
If you haven't registered, feel free to set up an account. All requests for accounts are reviewed; spam accounts will be deleted. Accounts created during a campaign to promote a site will not be approved.
- Voting for the 'People's Choice' is limited to members of this online community [professionals, researchers and students in cultural informatics] because it is not intended to be a public popularity contest. Like the other Best of the Web Awards, the People's Choice is an opportunity for peers – people in our field – to recognise good work. Broad, public campaigns for support are not encouraged. Collegial jostling is expected.
- Best of the Web 2012 Awards will be made at the Museums and the Web 2012 conference, in San Diego, California on Friday, April 13, 2012
Background and Past Awards