The Zooniverse team at the Adler Planetarium is seeking an experienced designer to lead visual design, UX, and UI decision making and implementation for the Zooniverse (www.zooniverse.org; github.com/zooniverse), home to the world’s most successful platform for the distributed analysis of scientific data through citizen science. We enable over 1.5 million registered volunteers to participate in 48 projects across the disciplines (from astronomy to zoology) in partnership with universities and research institutions around the world. As the Zooniverse designer, you’ll work with our team of 25 talented and friendly web developers and researchers at the Adler Planetarium and the University of Oxford, in partnership with universities and research institutions around the world.
As the Visual Designer, you’ll be responsible for designing intuitive, beautiful, and user-friendly web apps that enable anyone to participate in real research online. You will also have a huge impact on the future of design in the Zooniverse and be responsible for developing and maintaining the Zooniverse brand.
To apply, click here.
What we do
We take huge quantities of data and create web apps that allow people to make a real contribution to research by exploring and classifying the data. Our projects contribute to research in zoology, astronomy, climatology, and more. Just a sampling of our projects enable our web visitors to find new planets, listen to bat calls, classify distant galaxies, track animals in the Serengeti, transcribe WWI ships’ weather records, and help scientists find cures for cancer.
Who you are
- You’re a passionate advocate for great design
- You stay current in best practices, developments, and trends in designing for the web and mobile devices
- You have experience designing complex web/mobile applications and conducting user research
- You have proficiency designing interfaces in Sketch, Photoshop, or Illustrator
- You have experience prototyping interactions in Flinto, Framer.js, Principle, InVision app, or similar
- You’re ready to take on the responsibility of developing and maintaining a brand
- You’re interested in working in an inclusive environment. We strongly value the diversity we have in our development team and leadership
- You’re interested in being in an environment that values work-life balance. For example, our normal work week is 35-hours Monday-Friday
Bonus points if you have experience working with
- Experience with Git and Github (or other version control system)
- The ability to build/develop your designs in the front-end
- Proficiency with Github workflows
- Experience designing for print, and are familiar with the prepress process Proficiency in illustration, motion graphics, and/or photography
- Full-time, grant-funded position available immediately for an initial 24 months, with opportunity for extension
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Work trips to our Zooniverse office in Oxford, England
- Conference travel
- Choice and provision of equipment
- Flexible work schedule
- Free entrance to local Chicago area museums and cultural institutions