The Wolfsonian-FIU is seeking an experienced and creative Web Developer who will plan, maintain, extend, and enhance the museum’s web presence, visitor experience, and services. The incumbent should be curious about and versed in emerging web technologies and design trends, and adept at inciting digital projects and providing support across the organization. The Web Developer will be part of an emerging External Affairs department, and will collaborate across the institution, in the larger FIU environment, and externally to facilitate a world-class online experience that expands access to and engagement with The Wolfsonian’s collections and programs.
- Owns front- and back-end web development, maintenance, design consistency, and seamless operation for Drupal CMS, in collaboration with internal and external designers, developers, and clients
- Serves as the technical lead for Drupal CMS code; provides solutions to functional and technical problems Identifies and executes UI improvements and enhancements based on a variety of departmental needs, including the development of new and customization of existing applications for exhibitions, programs, education, and research projects
- Creates and manages development and support procedures, tools, and documentation, including scope documents, technical support standards, and training options
- Maintains a strong relationship with the FIU Division of IT its subgroups, ensuring service and support as well as influencing policy
- Ensures compliance with university wide privacy and web related policies; assures that application software, database software, and operating systems are at current revision levels
- Provides archiving and backup systems support including automated backup systems, and assists network troubleshooting as appropriate
- Analyzes and reports visitor statistics to various stakeholders based on their need
- Supervises interns and contract services, and the work of consulting designers and developers
- Performs duties as required which are logically related to the position
- BS in computer science, web design, or related field, or significant equivalent experience
- 3 years minimum experience with Drupal CMS
- 3 years minimum experience with HTML/XHTML, CSS, and XML – working knowledge of XSLT
- 2 years minimum Web programming experience, including PHP and ASP
- 2 years minimum experience working with relational database systems such as MySQL, MSSQL or Oracle and a good working knowledge of SQL
- Development experience using extensible web authoring tools and programming frameworks such as JQuery, Zend, Rails, Django, and/or other AJAX-compliant services.
- Significant experience working in LAMP and WIMP stacks and tuning webservers for maximum efficiency and security.
- Familiarity with an object-oriented programming language such as Ruby, Python, or Java is highly desirable
- Excellent visual design skills, particularly in regards to typography Working knowledge of Google analytics and webmaster tools
- Experience developing and implementing open source software projects
- Demonstrated familiarity and comfort working in UNIX/Linux, Windows, and MAC OS operating systems, related software, and basic system administration utilities including encryption and security standards
- Self-starter with strong sense of ownership and ability to drive the development process
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to consult directly with clients in the planning and execution of projects
- Ability to work within a collaborative, fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects and deadlines
- Solid work ethic, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor
- Flexibility of working hours required to meet deadlines
Salary commensurate with experience; benefits details available at: http://hr.fiu.edu/index.php?name=benefits_administration
How to Apply
Visit the link below and carefully follow instructions for the online application. Code, project, and/or documentation samples will be required. Job Opening ID: 506434
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and is an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer.
About The Wolfsonian-FIU: www.wolfsonian.org