The Marketing Strategist, K-12 Platforms and Distribution will identify, develop and support our distribution of K-12 online learning assets and products as part of the Environmental Literacy Initiative (ELI) funded by the Pisces Foundation. ELI is an interdepartmental initiative to take existing educational programs and products of the Academy to scale through online distribution. Some examples of these products include:
- Online training for middle school after school providers;
- Online training for K-12 teachers (emphasis on upper elementary and middle school) on science notebooking, science teaching pedagogy and the Next Generation Science Standards;
- Distribution of Habitat Earth and other planetarium productions and associated educational materials on our website and through partner websites; and
- Our Flipside Science video series on environmental problems and solutions designed for middle school teachers and students.
Reporting to the Dean of Education, Marketing Strategist, K-12 Platforms and Distribution will work collaboratively with the design and education teams to market and digitally distribute these and other products. The strategist will manage relationships with partner platforms and websites where we have posted our materials. The strategist will develop a marketing strategy for our products to increase views and usage. The strategist will also format and upload these digital materials onto partner platforms and the Academy’s website, and write accompanying marketing copy.
This position is 40 hours per week with an expected duration through December 31, 2017 with a possible extension per grant renewal.
The ideal candidate for this position will be familiar with websites and online distributors of educational content for K-12 and after school audiences. A successful candidate needs to have experience in developing and implementing a marketing strategy for educational online materials, and have expertise in digital tools and technologies for learning, including the technical expertise to format and upload educational content onto a variety of online platforms. High motivation, technical expertise in online media formats and formatting, problem solving, attention to detail, and superb communication skills are essential.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement the marketing and distribution strategy for our online learning products.
- For those products already launched, implement our marketing and distribution strategy, working closely with platform partners, marketing outlets and various staff members at the Academy to promote the products to broad online audiences.
- Advise the design team on consumer behavior, audience characteristics, and messaging for our products.
- Coordinate contractors for market research, landscape studies, and other marketing and distribution related projects.
- Vet potential content distribution partners to find platforms aligned with the Academy’s goals, products, and policies (e.g., target audience, video length, copyright issues).
- Negotiate partnerships with selected platforms and complete MOUs as needed, and work with appropriate legal review from our legal department.
- Collaborate with the ELI design teams as they develop impact measures for our educational products.
- Write and edit marketing copy for our educational content, and lead the product teams in titling the products we design.
- Coordinate with the Academy’s Creative Studio to create and brand assets as needed.
- Format, upload, and catalog the finished educational products to the partner platforms selected. These will represent a wide range of technical specifications ranging from iTunes U to YouTube Edu, and may involve different types of required metadata.
- Optimize page design for educational products, managing keywords/AdWords to improve SEO, and increasing referral sites to drive traffic to calacademy.org/educators.
- Assist education and marketing staff in implementing biweekly email marketing campaigns, as necessary.
- Track usage metrics using Google Analytics, YouTube view data, and communication with select partners, and use data to provide recommendations for further action.
- Keep abreast of new potential platform partners and share that information with the team.
- Attend appropriate team meetings of the ELI teams and the Leadership Team
- Prioritize responsibilities and deadlines; anticipate work flow.
- Follow all Academy safety regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven track record in developing and executing digital marketing strategies and tactics for educational media.
- Expert in multimedia and streaming content distribution and front/back-end technologies and channels, including content management systems, metadata and taxonomy tools, and migration tools.
- Demonstrated experience and aptitude for Google Analytics is preferred.
- Superb oral and written communication skills, and experience with brand messaging and communications. Ability to translate information about a product/program/experience into compelling, on-brand, consumer-friendly language.
- Must be well organized, detailed oriented and able to prioritize and execute multiple projects simultaneously and deliver them on time.
- Ability to monitor, track, and analyze performance data to make data-driven marketing decisions.
- Strong work ethic, flexibility and willingness to get the job done and be solution-oriented.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member in a fast-paced environment.
- An enthusiastic and positive team player with strong interpersonal and relationship skills who is able to support and serve those around them.
- Familiarity with Marketo, Conductor Searchlight, Adobe Photoshop, and/or Drupal is preferred.
- Experience implementing email marketing campaigns, and familiarity with social media platforms and online advertising is preferred.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience
- 2-3 years’ experience creating and maintaining productive online content partnerships
- 2-3 years’ experience in designing, formatting and maintaining online educational content on a variety of platforms
- At least two years of substantial project management experience preferred
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondences. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 90% of the time. Must be able to spend long periods of time viewing computer screens and using a keyboard. Must be able to lift 20 lbs.
The California Academy of Sciences will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.