The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is seeking a Marketing Manager.
This position will report to the Director of Marketing, and will work in close collaboration with the Associate Director Marketing and Associate Director, Digital Marketing Manager. The Marketing Manager will take a lead role in developing strategic integrated marketing programs that leverage traditional and digital media to support the Works & Process performing arts series, tourism development, as well as select exhibitions, programs, and initiatives at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. The Marketing Manager is responsible for all aspects of marketing project management, setting project management schedules, including media planning and placement, design and production of materials, deliverables, and reviews for multiple parties internal to and external to the Guggenheim, and ensuring that campaigns remain on track to meet strategic objectives. Inter- and cross-departmental collaboration, and external relationship management with media partners, vendors, agencies, and designers is integral to the Marketing Manager’s role.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods, through exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim network that began in the 1970s when the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, was joined by the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, has since expanded to include the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (opened 1997) and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi (currently in development). Looking to the future, the Guggenheim Foundation continues to forge international collaborations that take contemporary art, architecture, and design beyond the walls of the museum. More information about the foundation can be found at guggenheim.org.
This position may recruit and supervise a Marketing Associate, temporary contract staff, and interns.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead marketing project management for select museum exhibitions and programs, such as the Works & Process performing arts series, tourism development, education series programs, and Guggenheim App.
- Developing strategic multi-channel marketing plan and budget.
- Recommending media plan and placement.
- Drafting copy and circulating for approval.
- Selecting images and clearing rights as required.
- Overseeing internal and external designers and agencies producing print ads and radio spots, direct mail, e-mail promotions, banner ads, social media graphics, and other ephemera.
SOLOMON R. GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM
- Overseeing production of marketing materials including: setting up project schedules, issuing insertion and work orders, obtaining vendor bids, coordinating with printers and mailing services to assure timely, high-quality delivery.
- Managing direct mail campaigns for series brochures, postcards, and other mailers.
- Managing paid digital advertising, such as animated and rich media banners, Google Ad Words, and Facebook ads.
- Setting and monitoring campaign effectiveness (especially for online and social media campaigns), producing timely reports, and developing contingency strategies if required.
- Liaising with Curatorial, Interactive, Visitor Services, Membership, Education, Special Events, and Development staff to provide marketing expertise as required.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with media reps; identify and recommend cost effective targeted advertising vehicles; negotiate favorable non-profit rates, co-op promotions, and partnerships with the support of Director of Marketing.
- Write and post social media content for Works & Process at the Guggenheim channels.
- Direct external agency social media, search, online display and remarketing advertising strategies.
- Collaborate with Associate Director, Digital Marketing Manager to integrate targeted online, search, and social advertising, email marketing, social media, video and other digital initiatives into marketing plans.
- Develop and maintain internal expertise in Raiser’s Edge/Exact Target, and SocialSignIn overseeing on-site and online mailing list collection, maintenance, and requests.
- May support special projects such as Guggenheim UBS MAP Global Art Initiative, Guggenheim App and other Marketing department initiatives as required.
- Participate in interdepartmental committees and project teams as required.
- Manage Marketing Associate and interns to meet job requirements.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BA or BS degree
- Minimum 3 to 5 years progressively responsible marketing or advertising experience
- Staff supervision experience
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing integrated multi-channel marketing plans
- Strong verbal and written communications and project management skills
- Knowledge of digital marketing including social media
- Experience in tourism development an asset
- Genuine interest in the visual arts (especially modern and contemporary art), performing arts, architecture, and design.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills
- Adobe CS5, HTML, Google Docs, Raiser’s Edge or database software experience, and email marketing a plus
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to email@example.com. Indicate the job title “Marketing Manager” in the subject line. Only those applicants who meet our requirements for this position and include salary expectations in their cover letter will be contacted. The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.