The department of Digital Media at The Metropolitan Museum of Art is seeking a talented Media Writer to conceptualize, research, and write media content for different formats and platforms such as audio tours, mobile, and interactive media. The writer will collaborate closely with project team to create engaging, and interpretive content for visitors, both on-site and online, to support the Museum’s collection, exhibitions and related activities. Assignments typically involve: consulting with curatorial and education staff, conducting background research, leading recorded audio interviews with curators and artists, developing scripts from a variety of materials, and working closely with staff producers to review drafts and media edits. The candidate must be a strong conceptual thinker and an accomplished writer and interviewer.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Actively participate in discovery meetings and content planning sessions with curators and other content experts.
- Conduct background research on subject areas, contribute to project documentation including discovery reports and develop content plans.
- Conduct interviews and write compelling scripts for storytelling experiences, especially audio tours.
- Act as a story lead within projects to provide content guidance to other writers, project managers, and the internal team.
- Work closely with the project manager, creative lead, and technical lead to ensure the content, creative, and media combine for an engaging user experience.
- Integrate final content into CMS systems.
- Provide quality assurance testing of completed digital media.
- Archive final scripts and media into digital assets management systems.
- Other related duties.
Experience and Skills
- At least two years of experience writing, researching, and editing in a journalism or arts environment.
- Portfolio of sample writing for museums, news organization, science centers, exhibitions, or cultural publications.
- Experience writing for a variety of media, including audio, video, online, mobile, print, and interactive.
- Ability to quickly distill and succinctly convey relevant points of information from a variety of resources.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with a variety of people within and outside the Museum.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks under the pressure of deadlines.
- Strong time management skills, including: the capacity to determine priorities, a clear view of what is and isn’t practical within the constraints of time and resources, and the ability to anticipate problems and determine how to best resolve them.
- A deep understanding of the importance and value of openness and accountability.
Knowledge and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in English literature, creative writing, art history, journalism, or communications required. Graduate degree preferred.
Please send cover letter, resume, writings samples, and salary history to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line.