Title: Director of Digital Media
Reports To: Curator of the Collection, with dotted line to Director of Marketing & Communications
Type of Position: Full-time, exempt
The Gardner Museum’s new strategic plan calls for investments in new digital initiatives and a more robust marketing plan that will allow us to share our rich programmatic offerings and provide access to the Museum’s extraordinary collection in new and compelling ways. The goal is to broaden engagement with existing audiences, develop new ones, strengthen the Gardner’s brand, and reinforce our place as a cultural and educational resource in the community.
We seek a highly motivated individual to help us reimagine and build a forward-thinking digital presence, and to develop an ambitious digital strategy, which will have an essential role in implementing the Gardner’s strategic plan. In coordination with the Information Technology Manager and the Digital Content Manager, and leading the Museum’s cross-departmental Digital Task Force, the Director of Digital Media will be responsible for leading and implementing a broad range of strategic initiatives and projects. These include a redesign of the Museum’s website, the creation of new mobile applications, and production of interpretive media that give greater access to and greater understanding of the Gardner’s permanent collection, special exhibitions, and other programs across the museum’s five programming cornerstones: Collections, Contemporary Art, Education, Landscape, and Music.
The ideal applicant will combine a passion for digital and emerging technologies in the arts/culture or educational sector, along with prior experience developing and implementing a digital strategy across an organization. The applicant should have familiarity with a broad array of technical systems, including collection management, information management and digital asset management systems, as well as standards for managing and preserving data in the museum and/or non-profit community. S/he should also possess excellent organizational and communications skills to build effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders in order to expand and enrich the digital capacity of the Gardner.
- To lead the development and implementation of an institutional digital strategy, ensuring a holistic plan across all museum departments and digital initiatives.
- To ensure that the Gardner is true to its mission and institutional priorities by sharing its many resources – its collection, its history, its public programs – with local and global audiences
- To explore the full potential of digital technologies to build engagement with existing audiences, develop new audiences, strengthen the Museum’s brand, and build awareness of the Gardner as a cultural and educational resource
- Develop and manage institutional plans for the use of interactive technology that supports the Museum’s primary institutional priorities: 1) Creativity and Scholarship and 2) Audiences
- Champion the creative and effective use of digital tools across the Museum
- Work in collaboration with internal collection data management teams to ensure continuity of data across all museum functions
- Lead the ongoing planning, development, and implementation of the Gardner’s website to maximize engagement
- Lead and oversee the development—by both Museum staff and external contractors—of interactive tools for the interpretation of the collection and special exhibitions online and in the galleries
- Establish metrics to determine effectiveness of programs and projects, and establish a feedback loop between staff and our audiences
- BA/BS in related field or equivalent experience (advanced degree preferred)
- 5-7 years of experience on an interactive technology or digital media team in the arts and culture or educational sector
- Familiarity with integration of museum collection management systems with public-facing digital initiatives
- Skills in strategic planning, budget management, and supervision
- Ability to work successfully with multiple stakeholders
- Knowledge of digital media-related technologies and current with emerging technologies and trends
- Experience spanning web, mobile, social media, and in-gallery experiences with a proven track record in overseeing related systems and asset management
- Solid grasp of the fundamentals of good asset management and intellectual property issues involved with technology and museums
- Understanding of brand and the role of digital in brand-building
- Experience with user-centric design processes
- Familiarity with SQL databases and HTML preferred
- An eye for detail and design
- Excellent writing and communications skills
Join our dedicated, talented team of employees, interns and volunteers, who are passionate about the work they do to support the Museum’s mission. To apply for this position, please follow this link to the online application—this is our preferred application method: https://isgm.applicantpro.com/jobs/202383.html. Both a cover letter and resume are required.