The Balboa Park Online Collaborative (BPOC) is a nonprofit organization that strives to foster a culture of innovation and collaboration among nonprofit organizations through technology. BPOC provides thought leadership and technical services to more than 27 museums and cultural organizations with a focus on innovative audience engagement solutions, cost-effective opportunities, exceptional customer service, and creating a reliable infrastructure that demonstrates value to our clients. Our partners range from small non-profit organizations of a staff of one to a large organization with over 100 staff and volunteers. BPOC is located in beautiful Balboa Park, San Diego, one of the nation’s largest urban parks.
BPOC seeks a Director of Digital Media to manage a diverse range of digital projects, delivered to websites, kiosks and mobile, that improve public access to the rich content found in Balboa Park’s museums, including subjects such as History, Art, Science, Transportation. The successful candidate will be a dynamic, business-minded, proactive individual with strong project management, technical, and communications skills.
The Director of Digital Media is responsible for all aspects of management, coordination, and implementation of digital projects from research, planning, content production, through quality assurance and evaluation. The candidate will work closely with project teams of content experts, programmers, video producers and others as needed. BPOC is a fast-paced, creative and demanding environment that offers great rewards and the opportunity to work on high-profile, public-access projects. Additional responsibilities include creating proposals, work estimates, budget development and management, strategic planning and strategic visioning for how museums engage with technology to serve their audiences.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Promote BPOC to garner new partners and project
- Develop project proposals and work estimates
- Manage the schedule and workflow of digital projects
- Communicate and coordinate with team members, both internal and external
- Work directly with clients to manage project, expectations, deliverables and deadlines
- Manage programming, video and collections staff to ensure project success by meeting budget, expectations, deliverables and deadlines
- Evaluate project for risks
- Develop, implement, and analyze user evaluations
- Create and manage contracts with outside vendors and project agreements with clients
- Develop and manage annual departmental budget
- Develop collaborations and partnerships with universities, industry and others
- Continue to learn and be informed of emerging technology and trends
- Assist partners in understanding and learning about new technology and trends
- Attend and present at industry events and conferences to promote BPOC and BPOC projects
- Project management skills in scoping, identifying risks, scheduling and planning of digital projects; experience with Agile-based project management methodologies essential.
- Organizational skills to manage competing priorities and expectations and timely delivery of projects
- A passion and broad knowledge of digital media including audio-video tours, in-gallery interactives, touch interactives, websites etc.
- Solid working knowledge of web and mobile technologies; knowledge and experience with Drupal CMS platform, MySQL, PHP, jQuery, JSON and HTML/CSS preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and effective presentation skills.
- Ability to translate complex technical ideas into understandable solutions to a non-technologist and an ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with a variety of internal and external people.
- Problem solving ability to recognize issues and identify solutions
- Excellent people management skills
- Evaluation skills to assess project risks and conduct user evaluations
- Maintain a culture of ongoing learning
- Budget and financial experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and years of experience.
- 5+ years of experience in a project management role, managing digital projects
- Desire to work in a non-profit organization and with a diverse partner base of art and cultural organizations
Please read the full description and follow the application procedure at: