Getty Publications produces award-winning, highly illustrated books that result from or complement the work of the Getty Conservation Institute, the Getty Research Institute, and the J. Paul Getty Museum. This wide variety of titles covers the fields of art, photography, archaeology, architecture, conservation, and the humanities for both the general public and specialists. The majority of our publications are printed but we are producing an increasing number of digital publications. Reporting to the Digital Publications Manager, the Digital Publications Developer will be a key position in building a multi-faceted digital publications program for the Getty. The Digital Publications Developer supports Getty Publications in the creation of digital books across a variety of formats and platforms; in the management of digital assets and workflows for creating and maintaining those publications; and in the implementation and management of the Publications website, Virtual Library and other future digital initiatives.
- Making digital publications, including e-books and web-based projects.
- Working with the Digital Publications Manager and other senior Publications staff in identifying and implementing digital publishing strategies for individual book projects, book series, and other digital publishing initiatives.
- Exploring, testing and reporting on the technological feasibility of new projects and formats with wireframing and prototypes.
- Working collaboratively with Getty Publications designers and production staff in the creation of digital publications within the larger list of titles, and in conjunction with new or existing print editions.
- Working with digital colleagues in other Getty programs to collaborate on specific projects, and to share resources, information, and expertise.
- Collaboratively establishing best-practices for a digital publishing workflow, and launching and maintaining complete documentation for current and future digital publishing processes.
- Identifying and acting as a technical liaison to vendors and consultants, including programmers, UX designers and software developers who join project teams.
- Managing and updating the Publications website and other online digital presences in concert with Getty Publications leadership, Marketing and Sales staff, and the Getty Web department.
- Being an active, engaged and leading participant in digital publishing and development communities outside the Getty.
- Demonstrated experience in a range of digital publication-related formats, including EPUB, MOBI and PDF. Additional experience with web-based HTML5 publications and projects a plus.
- Demonstrated competence in digital publishing processes and knowledge of current standards and trends in digital technologies and digital publishing, including familiarity with the full range of digital publishing services and applications now available, such as Scalar, Inkling, PressBooks and others.
- Knowledge of InDesign and a keen understanding of its digital output methods and options, including to EPUB, HTML and Adobe Digital Publishing Studio (DPS).
- Proficiency with Photoshop and general image manipulation and production for ebooks and the web.
- Demonstrated experience using different kinds of content management systems and technologies like WordPress and Drupal, XML.
- Good understanding of iOS and Android SDK a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-5 years of directly related experience, ideally in book publishing, art museum, or other related non-profit environments.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills. Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and to work both independently and as part of a team. Excellent organizational and project management skills.