Brown University is seeking to hire a Digital Media Designer for Online Scholarly Publications. The Digital Media Designer provides design expertise to support the development of innovative digital scholarship. As a member of the Library’s Center for Digital Scholarship (CDS), the Digital Media Designer works with a team of technical and editorial staff and scholars to conceive and develop web-based publications in the humanities and social sciences. The incumbent identifies and implements approaches to visual expression that offer clear, persuasive, and thematically coherent experiences for an academic audience. The DMD works to conceive, prototype, test, and implement visually compelling digital designs for faculty research publications, particularly focusing on reader experience, effective integration of media and data, and the communication of the scholars’ ideas. The Digital Media Designer maintains current awareness of relevant technologies, and applies that knowledge as part of the team.
This is a grant supported position with funding through December 2019 with the possibility of an extension.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years of professional experience in online publication design
- Strong knowledge of visual design and data representation principles
- Expert knowledge of front-end technologies; HTML5, CSS3
- Knowledge of web standards, data formats and accessibility, and responsive design principles
- Knowledge of digital media editing software — e.g. Adobe Creative suite applications
- Ability to quickly and efficiently produce wireframes and mockups
- Familiarity with academic projects or other scholarly communications in the humanities and/or social sciences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team in an agile project management environment
Candidates please note: All offers of employment require a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Digital Media Designer for Online Scholarly Publications
Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.