The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking a Digital Media Content Editor for the Publishing and Digital Media Department. The Digital Media Content Editor will oversee the Guggenheim Museum’s multimedia content: lead the content development for the museum’s app; edit exhibition materials and general information for the Guggenheim app; work closely with authors and curators to craft and edit audio scripts; create all multimedia text schedules; manage and execute content entry for digital collection materials and assist with collection editing; update content in TMS and proprietary app CMS; assist project editors on exhibition and catalogue-related materials as well as e-books; manage freelance contractors.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and partnerships. With nearly three million annual visitors worldwide, the Guggenheim and its network is one of the most visited cultural institutions in the world.
- Lead the editorial content development for the museum’s app with curators, the Digital Media and Rights Manager, project editors, and the education department.
- Edit the content for Guggenheim app in phone and tablet versions; adapt existing didactic materials for exhibition-related app pages; maintain updated content on all general information pages; write texts for app as needed.
- Assist with editing all exhibition didactics working closely with project editors and curators.
- Edit audio scripts for exhibition guides that appear in the Guggenheim app; suggest audio scriptwriters and work closely with authors and curators to craft scripts; contract with scriptwriter and manage schedules; as time allows draft scripts with curators.
- Collaborate with digital media producers and curators on ideas for exhibition videos; write video descriptions; provide category tags for online and app distribution; edit captions.
- Assist with editing digital collection materials including artist bios and artwork texts; manage and schedule entry into TMS; code final text before publishing or outsource and manager freelance coders within prescribed budget.
- Create multimedia text schedules.
- Working with curators, ensure that all artwork caption information is updated in the museum’s content management system (TMS) for display online, in the app, and elsewhere.
- Provide quality assurance testing for app content.
- Develop and maintain editorial standards for all digital media content working with the Associate Director, Editorial.
- Code texts for digital display utilizing HTML and CSS.
- Working with project editors and web editor, review exhibition-related website content; ensure editorial consistency across platforms.
- As time allows, write Syllabus stories, create catalogue descriptions and excerpts for the Publication section of the website
- Assist project editors on catalogue-related materials as necessary.
- Assist on development of digital publications including e-books based on museum publications.
- Perform general department tasks as needed, including management of freelance contractors and interns, and miscellaneous editing and writing tasks.
- Be knowledgeable of current technology best practices and trends; advise department of useful technological developments.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in English Literature, Creative Writing, Art History, Journalism, Communications, or other related studies. Graduate degree preferred.
- 5+ years digital editorial experience.
- Ability to copyedit and proofread texts to ensure accuracy and tone.
- Adept at managing multiple deadlines, including long- and short-term deadlines, and complex projects from manuscript to final print and digital formats.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent project management skills including creating and managing schedules. Must work independently, provide accurate work estimates, and manage timelines across multiple projects.
- Strong communication and diplomatic skills in order to interface with various departments and management levels. Natural collaborator who enjoys working closely with others.
- Familiarity with current and emerging digital technologies and platforms.
- Desired software knowledge: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Excel; experience using multiple content management systems and TMS preferred.
- Knowledge of art history recommended.
- Foreign language skills a plus.
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to email@example.com. Indicate the job title “Digital Media Content Editor” in the subject line.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.