The Indianapolis Museum of Art (IMA) seeks a talented Backend Software Developer to work as part of the IMA Lab. We are a group of designers, developers, and digital strategists. Our goal is to improve the state of technology in the cultural sector through research, development, and outreach.
The IMA Lab is a unique group within the cultural institution space. We serve as the in-house development team for the IMA, but we also undertake contract and consulting work for a variety of cultural institutions and participate in various grant-funded, collaborative initiatives.
We specialize in online collections, data and systems integrations, online and in-gallery interactives, and digital publishing. We work with museums, archives, libraries, galleries, historic societies, gardens, and other cultural institutions. Our past clients include the Art Institute of Chicago, Smithsonian Institution, Corning Museum of Glass, and others.
We are currently looking for a backend developer with strong server experience. We need someone who is passionate about creating efficient, modular, stable, and maintainable software. We also need someone with an aptitude for improving systems and processes, someone who enjoys organizing and refactoring, someone who is not afraid to dive into a server and figure out what makes it tick. Experience with data management is a plus.
- Work closely with designers and developers to create new features and services
- Create clean, well-documented, and efficient software and services
- Maintain, optimize, organize, and document existing sites, services, and systems
- Aptitude for analyzing diverse systems, processes, databases, schemas, etc.
- Experience with optimizing, organizing, and documenting systems and processes
- Experience with Linux-based web servers
- Experience with server side languages, especially Python or PHP
- Experience with RDBMS such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.
- Experience with MVC web frameworks such as Django or Laravel
- Experience developing and interacting with REST-ful web services
- Experience with modern version control (Git) and workflows
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with collections management systems, such as KE EMu or TMS
- Experience with asset management systems, such as Piction or ResourceSpace
- Familiarity with Windows and interest in Windows Server
- Experience with LOD (Linked Open Data)
- Interest in RDF, Semantic Web, Microformats
- Interest in ontology schemas such as CIDOC CRM, LIDO, CDWA, etc.
- Proficiency in other languages such as Objective-C, Java, and shell scripting
- Experience with CMS such as Drupal, WordPress, etc.
- Interest in the arts, archiving, or digital humanities
A competitive salary is offered for all positions and a generous benefits package for full-time positions. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to: ATTN: Human Resources – 4000 Michigan Road; Indianapolis, IN 46208, e-mail to email@example.com, or fax to 317-920-2655. If you e-mail your application, please specify “Backend Software Developer” in the title. No phone calls, please. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.