Museums and the Web

An annual conference exploring the social, cultural, design, technological, economic, and organizational issues of culture, science and heritage on-line.

You are hereConferences on-line and on-site / MW2009 and the permanent backchannel

MW2009 and the permanent backchannel

jtrant's picture

By jennifer trant - Posted on 04 March 2009

Nina Simon has posted recently on the use of on-line backchannels at the WebWise meeting. She noted that the on-site attendees there primarily used a chat room set up using Today's Meet and Twitter [with the #webwise hashtag]. there was also some collection of links using the webwise tag in del.icio.us.

Museums and the Web 2009 will be the fourth year http://conference.archimuse.com has been live while the conference is taking place. we've usually seen a burst of traffic before and after the meeting, as people create profiles as a 'stake in the ground' that enables others to find them  and participate in more topical discussions. but site usage has never been huge during the meeting -- maybe this year will be different?

we've also got a presence  ...

now this may seem like a lot, but each of these sites is used in a different way and reaches a different group of people.  some are used more before the meeting, and some after, and some during. some provide persistence, others are more ephemeral. some require known identity, others enable anonymity. wherever materials are posted, we're trying to make sure that things are aggregated so that it's possible to watch what is going on.

it will be interesting to see if chat-like environments take off at MW2009. we've had limited success with chat on-site -- despite having as more ip-addressed devices than people @ mw2008 -- partially because of the problem of parallel sessions. one room or three, or 8 on Friday!??!

what do you think? are we missing a place where MW2009 should be? should we try chat again?  let us know!

jtrant's picture

Jon Pratty's going to be around MW2009 to help people out with the intricacies of the 'backchannel'. See his post for more details.

/jt

j. trant archives & museum informatics www.archimuse.com

j. trant co-founder Museums and the Web | partner archives & museum informatics www.archimuse.com

ThT's picture

The MuseumsWiki provides the article MW2009 (not only) for participants of the conference. You're also encouraged to use the MuseumsWiki for publishing abstracts,
papers or to announce new projects, software or services.

--

ThT

--

ThT

jtrant's picture

how could i forget the Museums and the Web group on Slideshare! it's at http://www.slideshare.net/group/museums-and-the-web

it has some presentations from prior MWs and others that are directly relevant.

we're going to actively solicit presentations for it @ MW2009.

/jt

j. trant co-founder Museums and the Web | partner archives & museum informatics www.archimuse.com

@sprintmarathon's picture

I've followed this thread from @jtrant posting the link on twitter. Using TweetDeck is helps me to efficiently track #mw2009, the other conferences that I attend, personal conversations, and conversations specific to my organiztion.

justin_heideman's picture

Twitter wins for the chat backchannel. You can use it on an iPhone very easily. Not being relegated to the corner with the one power outlet, charging your laptop, will be nice. 

jtrant's picture

and we're not talking about the kind you eat. we'll make sure there are plenty of places to plug in!

/jt

Mia Ridge's picture

What about pageflakes or netvibes?

frankieroberto's picture

I'm ashamed to say I've never used netvibes or pageflakes!

Twitter's still the backchannel for me. That, and actually talking to people...