You are hereJob Postings / Job: Learning Director: The Tech, San Jose
Job: Learning Director: The Tech, San Jose
"The Learning Director will help create, evaluate, and disseminate informal science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) learning programs for The Tech Museum's diverse audiences. Reporting to the Vice President of Content Development, the Learning Director will collaborate with curators to develop multimedia exhibits, as well as lead The Tech Museum's Year-Round Second Classroom Initiative.
- Collaborate with other staff members to brainstorm, research, fact-check, and edit exhibit texts, film and podcast scripts, Tech Tag activities, virtual experiences, and other multimedia offerings.
- Drive home to visitors how science and technology shape their individual lives and society as a whole, both now and in the future.
- Design, prototype, evaluate, and refine materials for informal STEM education, including curricula for field trips and after-school programs, pre- and post-museum-visit lesson plans, Web site activities, hands-on demonstrations, staff- and self-guided tours, and museum-wide games.
- Partner with academic institutions, corporations, and nonprofit allies to monitor trends and breakthroughs, assess needs of target audiences, and make sure that all content is correct and cutting-edge.
- Test and enhance the appeal of all learning programs to The Tech Museum's four target audiences: children, teachers, parents, and adults without school-age children.
- Tie learning materials to California State Curriculum Standards while reflecting the spirit of Silicon Valley, including its emphases on collaboration, experimentation, and sustainability.
- Plan, develop, and lead activities for special events such as Earth Day, Nano Week, and donor and partner functions.
- Related duties as assigned.
- Previous experience as a nontraditional educator, science journalist, science-segment or documentary producer, or science communicator in a related field.
- Well-honed ability to seek out, understand, evaluate, and synthesize scientific information, including that given in scientific databases, journals, and conference proceedings.
- Comfort networking with scientists and other experts to research ideas, fact-check exhibit media and curricula, and uncover new leads for exhibits and programs.
- Track record of transforming scientific methods and findings into compelling narratives for diverse audiences; ability to simplify, humanize, and personalize complex technological information.
- Talent not only for teaching skills and principles, but also for inspiring curiosity and experimentation.
- Understanding of CA state education standards and how to meet educators' needs.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to respond positively and quickly to changing needs and constructive feedback.
Please send cover letter and resume with salary history to: The Tech Museum of Innovation, 201 South Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113-2008, Attn: Human Resources. Or, e-mail resume to email@example.com (text only -- do not send attachments.) FAX: (408) 279-7149. No phone calls please."